Saturday, July 3, 2010

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins


I know, I know. I posted about blueberry muffins not too long ago, and I told you they were perhaps the ultimate blueberry muffin incarnation. I stand by that assertion. Today’s muffins don’t aspire to be the absolute tastiest blueberry muffins you’ve ever had – they try to be the healthiest (while still remaining tasty). And healthy food is a good thing, right? Especially during a holiday weekend when almost everything we eat veers into the less than healthy camp.


Upon reflection, it seems I’ve been on a bit of a healthy baked goods kick lately. Or really, and oatmeal-in-my-baked-goods-kick, if we’re going to get right down to it. First there was the low-fat oatmeal banana bread. That was good. Then more recently there were the peanut butter banana oatmeal muffins. Those were really good. Both of those are recipes I will make again.


I’m a little more on the fence with today’s muffins. In theory, oatmeal blueberry applesauce muffins sound both healthy and delicious. And they were. But there was something about them I just didn’t love. While the fresh blueberries popped with juicy flavor and the muffin tops got nicely crunchy, I found the muffins to be overly sweet and too oat-y. I debated even posting this recipe, but Stan really liked the muffins. He even declared them “perfect”. While I’m sure he was exaggerating just a bit, he doesn’t hesitate to (nicely) tell me when he doesn’t like something. So I have to believe he really liked these muffins.


If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to the standard blueberry muffin, these are certainly worth trying. And if you do try them, let me know what you think. Are you with me on the sweetness or, like Stan, did you love them? Also, if you have a favorite healthy muffin recipe you’d like to share, please do. I love getting new ideas. In the meantime, I wish you all a safe and happy Fourth of July!

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins
Adapted from Joy the Baker

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
1 1/4 cups oats (I used old fashioned but would recommend trying quick oats)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 T. canola oil
1 large egg
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the applesauce, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil, and egg.


Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.


Fold in the blueberries.


Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups. (I used a 1/3-cup measuring cup to scoop out the batter, and it was the perfect size).


Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.


Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire cooling rack.


Enjoy warm or at room temperature.


Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails