Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas


Mexican food is a frequent guest at our dinner table. As I’ve told you before, we are big fans of the flavors, textures, and colors of Mexican cuisine. I think Stan likes Mexican food even more than I do, which is ironic because he is Russian and did not grow up eating anything resembling the Mexican food he is so fond of today. Since I like making food that makes Stan happy, I’m always keeping an eye out for new Mexican recipes. Or at least Mexican-style … not everything is that authentic.


Last week I came across this recipe for chicken enchiladas. The recipe was posted on the same blog where I found the fantastic creamy shrimp enchiladas recipe I made several months ago, so I suspected these enchiladas would be similarly delicious. Happily, I was right. The filling for these enchiladas is made up of chicken and black beans mixed together with cream cheese and diced green chiles. I was afraid the chiles would make the filling too spicy, but the heat was nicely tempered by the cream cheese. At the same time, the chiles keep the cream cheese from making the filling too tangy. The creamy green chile sauce that tops the enchiladas is, in a word, awesome. Rich, creamy, and nicely spiced without being spicy. I might have licked the spoon.


These enchiladas have a few steps to them, but they are all easy ones. If you have a little time, they make a special weeknight dinner. They also would be excellent for entertaining. I suspect you could make them ahead of time and just pop them in the oven before your guests arrive. If you try making them in advance, let me know how they turn out. I’m always looking recipes that won’t leave me sweating in the kitchen when my guests arrive!

Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from My Kitchen Café

Ingredients:
Filling:
8 oz. (one block) cream cheese, at room temperature
2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles
3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
14.5 oz. can black beans or white beans (I used black beans)

Sauce:
2 T. butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 of a medium onion)
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk (I used skim milk)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
7 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce (I used just under 1 cup, measured from a larger jar)
1/2 cup sour cream

2 cups shredded cheese, divided (I used a Mexican cheese blend)
8 large flour tortillas (I used whole wheat)
Chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

For the Filling:
In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and green chiles until thoroughly combined. 


Add the chicken and black beans. Stir gently to combine. Set aside.


For the Sauce:
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 3 to 4 minutes.


Sprinkle the flour over the onions and whisk constantly for 1 minute.


Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Continue whisking frequently until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth around the onions, about 4 to 5 minutes.


Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, enchilada sauce, and sour cream.


To Make the Enchiladas:
Spread 1/4 cup of the sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.

Fill each tortilla with about 1/2 a cup (or a little more) of the filling.


Sprinkle a small handful of the cheese on top of the filling. (Make sure you save a little cheese to top the enchiladas.)


Roll the tortillas up, and place them seam-side down in the baking dish.


Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas, and top with the remaining cheese.


Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the enchiladas are bubbling around the edges and lightly browned.


Sprinkle the cilantro over the top, and serve immediately.


Makes 8 large enchiladas.

1 comment:

  1. I'm curious which you think is the better Enchilada recipe...this one or the Honey Lime?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails