Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chicken Chili Taco Soup



Do you ever see a recipe and know you will like it? Not just think it looks good, but know, from the picture, title, recipe, whatever, that it will undoubtedly be something you will like? That’s what happened to me with this recipe for Chicken Chili Taco Soup. I’m sure it had something to do with the name of the recipe. I like chili. I like tacos. I like soup. It was kind of a no-brainer. I also think I knew the recipe would be a winner because of its similarity to the Taco Soup recipe I told you about way back in the beginning of this blog. (If you click to check out the recipe, please don’t judge me on the photo quality.  I hadn’t figured out the whole lighting thing yet.)



After having tried the recipe, I can tell you that what I like best about it (besides being quick and easy) is its adaptability. The original recipe calls for ground turkey. I substituted ground chicken breast, and I’m sure ground beef would be great too (though I’d drain the beef before adding the soup ingredients to avoid having greasy soup). The recipe also calls for kidney beans, which add to the chili-ness of it. Kidney beans worked great, but black or pinto beans would work just as well. If you want to heft up the veggie content, you could easily add in some chopped zucchini, carrots or spinach. If you don’t have the can of Ro-tel, you can substitute salsa or regular diced tomatoes. You get where I’m going with this.  This recipe is flexible.




It’s also really good.  And ridiculously easy.  All you have to do is brown up the meat, add the veggies and then add everything else.  A 15 minute simmer is all you need to bring all the flavors together.  What you end up with is a chunky, meaty, protein-packed soup full of sweet corn, tender-crisp peppers, creamy beans, and zesty spices (how zesty is up to you).  You can serve it topped with any number of things – basically whatever you like on your chili and/or tacos.  We went for the fairly straight forward combo of shredded cheese and Greek yogurt (subbed for sour cream).  Stan also added enough tortilla chips to his to make it more like chip soup.  I was aiming for something a little healthier, but he assured me his version was delicious.  



Chicken Chili Taco Soup
Adapted from Skinny Taste

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground chicken, turkey or beef
1 onion, chopped (red or white)
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used half a red and half a green)
10 oz. can Ro-tel diced tomatoes with green chiles
15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz. can refried beans (I used fat-free)
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cups frozen corn
2  1/2 cups chicken broth
2 T. taco seasoning (use more or less to taste)

Directions:
Spray a large pot with cooking spray (or use a little oil) and brown the chicken over medium heat.


When the chicken is cooked through, add the peppers and onions.  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to soften the veggies a little.


Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot.  Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.


Makes about 6 servings.

7 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS RECIPE! Just tried it but made it with turkey and and had a few tweeks to your recipe. So easy and made the house smell yummy! Love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin the way this looks. Looks like it would taste fantastic. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Wish you would post a new summer/spring recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing your recipes! Everything I've tried from your blog has been a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stumbled across your blog and lost 3 hours to reading all the recipes. I've got at least 10 things on my to-make list. I hope everything is all right and that you come back and post this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still visit the blog every once in a while hoping you will come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of our favorite recipes! I use a mix of ground turkey and spicy chicken sausage along with 4 ounces of cream cheese in the soup to make it creamy (and then omit the sour cream on top). So very good! You have so many wonderful recipes. Thank you for sharing with them. I hope everything is well with you and your family. :) Oh! I also use pinto beans instead of refried beans along with the kidney beans. Both are drained and rinsed first.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails