Sunday, June 5, 2011

Louisiana-Style Shrimp


Lately I’ve been a bit of a delinquent.  A blogging delinquent.  As in, I have been seriously delinquent in posting with any regularity.  I know it.  You know.  Can we please agree to forgive and forget?  I’m still trying to figure out this whole full-time working and regular blogging thing.  (There’s a reason I started this site when I was just out of grad school and still unemployed!) 


I’ve got this whole new time management plan worked out though, so things should be better.  Ok, not really, I’m not that organized, but it certainly helps that all of my TV shows are done for the summer.  So much time back in my life.  Time I plan to be spending with you and some deliciously good food.  So let’s get to it.


Today’s recipe for Louisiana-Style Shrimp is one of my new favorites.  I’ve only made it once, but I’ve been thinking about it ever since – and wishing I’d doubled the recipe the first time around.  In this dish, plump, juicy shrimp are cooked in a smoky, slightly spicy, and richly flavorful sauce containing andouille sausage, peppers, onions, garlic, and beer.  Surprisingly, there are no tomatoes in this recipe – the sauce gets its reddish tint from a liberal dose of smoked (or regular) paprika.  Easy enough for a weeknight (if you have a little bit of time) and special enough to serve to company, I have a feeling this Louisiana-Style Shrimp recipe will be making frequent repeat appearances in our kitchen. 


Louisiana-Style Shrimp
Adapted from Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
2 T. olive oil, divided
1/2 lb. andouille sausage, diced or crumbled (I used chicken andouille)
3 T. butter
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium to large onion, chopped
3 to 4 small ribs celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresno or jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 T. thyme leaves, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 T. smoked sweet paprika or regular sweet paprika
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
1 cup chicken or seafood stock (I used chicken)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
Hot sauce, to taste
1 1/2 lbs. medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Rice for serving

Directions:
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until brown. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve.


Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the butter to the pot. Stir in the green pepper, onion, celery, garlic, chile pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.  Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.


Sprinkle in the paprika and stir, then add the flour and stir for 1 minute more.


Pour in the beer and cook for 2 minutes, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pot. Stir in the stock and Worcestershire sauce, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes to combine flavors. Stir in hot sauce, to taste.


Add the reserved sausage to the sauce. Bring the sauce to a low boil over medium heat, then stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, about 3 to 5 minutes.


Transfer the shrimp mixture to a serving bowl and serve with rice and extra hot sauce.

 
Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails