Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bread


As I mentioned in my last post, fall has finally arrived in Nashville. (Ok, let’s just pretend I didn’t see the weather forecast predicting 80-degree temperatures this coming weekend). Fall’s cooler temperatures mean that, in addition to pulling out my favorite turtlenecks, I get the green light to fire up the oven and heat up the house again. Which is great because I love baking. Yeast breads, quick breads – I’m looking forward to cranking out big batches all fall and winter long.


I’m starting out the season with another banana bread. I know I’ve already given you two banana bread recipes in the past year, but this one is different, I swear. Like the low-fat oatmeal banana bread I made a while back, this version includes old-fashion oats in the batter. The oats give the bread great texture and chewiness. This bread is also a little healthier than your typical banana breads thanks to those oats and the use of some whole-wheat flour. There are, however, chocolate chips sweetening up this bread, so you probably don’t want to eat half the loaf in one sitting. But don’t worry, I won’t judge you if you do.

Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bread
Adapted from Multiply Delicious

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup very ripe bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
3/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9x5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.


In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and bananas.


Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.


Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.  Cool the bread in the pans for a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.


Note: You can also use the batter to make muffins. I made one loaf of bread and used the rest of the batter to make muffins. To make muffins, prepare as stated above, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails