Monday, March 8, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies


Normally I like to give you guys a little story before I post a recipe. Today I just can’t. The cookies I made this weekend were so freakin’ amazing I have to tell you about them. Now. No time for an introduction or any hint of anticipation. Just this: make these cookies immediately – if not sooner. They are that good.


These are thick and chewy cookies. Rich and chocolaty cookies. Cookies filled with chocolate chips and (optional) walnuts. And the secret ingredient? Instant coffee. You’d never know it was there, but the coffee boosts the chocolate flavor to another level. We cannot stop eating these cookies. Seriously, I had to ask Stan to leave me a couple to photograph. Instead, he asked me to take a picture of a plate with nothing on it but crumbs. (He thought this would show how good the cookies were… and allow him to eat the few that remained.)


In short, these are going to be my new go-to cookies… maybe forever.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Savory Sweet Life

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. instant coffee
12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. The mixture should become light brown and fluffy. (I used my Kitchen Aid on speed 5 for about 5 minutes.)


Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat together for 2 minutes.


In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and instant coffee. (I did this while my butter and sugar were working together in the mixer.)


Add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.


Gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using. (The cookie dough should be pretty thick at this point.)


If you have time, put the cookie dough into the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This will allow the dough to firm up slightly, making it easier to scoop out. If you’re in a hurry, just skip this step.

When ready to proceed, drop round-ish balls of cookie dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. (You want each ball to be about 2 tablespoons worth of dough.)


Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies are slightly firm to the touch.

Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet then remove them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. (Try to resist eating them while they are still hot enough to burn your mouth.)


If you can resist eating them all right away, store any extras in an airtight container.


Makes 26 cookies if using a 2-tablespoon scoop.

1 comment:

  1. I just made these cookies and they are delish and easy to make. My kitchen is super hot so I suggest making the batter, putting the bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes and then putting the oven on. I also got about 38 cookies instead of 26.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails